Wednesday, September 19, 2012

When I Grow Up.....

I often feel like as a young person I should be doing amazing and crazy things with my life. Ever since I was little I have always set huge, seemingly unattainable goals. Among those goals there was the third grade "I am going to go to HARVARD!!" phase (probably because it was the only notable college I knew of at the time), the I am going to be a vet and save all the animals in the world phase, and the quintessential phase of all little girls, where you tell people you are going to grow up to be a pretty pretty princess.

Remember this game?

Now as a college student it is becoming quite clear to me that all those dreams are much closer now, but despite being at the point in my life where they should be tangible they are more of a mystery.

So here I am, as a result, going between a million options of what I could do and should do! I know tons of people change their majors and plenty transfer schools before they find their niche. I currently major in metals, but find that I am interested in other majors too.

I think that the most important thing in work and majors is finding something that makes you want to wake up every morning and feel excited to go to work. I feel passionate about creating, it is just a matter of applying it correctly. I feel like these days people are stressed out over choosing a major more than ever because we are no longer certain about the economy.


I actually heard a lecture last week where James Gilmore, author of The Experience Economy,  was discussing the basic structure of our economy. He said that he believed that current instability in the economy was a result of not shifting into an experience economy where companies and businesses sell experiences, not just commodities.

With an economy that is shifting to ever lower cost in production and cheaper and cheaper commodities you have to wonder what kind of jobs will result from a different kind of economy, like what James Gilmore proposes.

2 comments:

  1. Have you read the book? Is it worth checking out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read the book, but I am planning on getting a copy. The revised version is only different in its examples the way he explained it.

      Delete