Sunday, September 23, 2012

It's What Is In The Hand

I have been searching for weeks for the perfect paper to use for my business card. I ordered a pattern I loved on 80 lb paper hoping it would be solid and sturdy feeling. Apparently 80lbs is the average weight for paper that gets used for business cards. There was this beautiful taupe ecru pattern, but upon receiving the paper and printing out test cards I decided that 80lbs creates a far too flimsy business card.


There is a psychological factor in what you receive from people. In my media lit. class in high school we read a study that discussed a scenario where a person was handed either a cold drink or hot cup of coffee by someone they had never met before. The scenario played out in such a way that the person with the drink would need the other person to hold their drink for a moment. Those asked to hold a cold beverage later described the person as being cold, and those who were asked to hold a hot drink found the person to be warm later on.

Aren't these so cool?

I can not help but assume that his can apply to what kind of business card you are handed when you meet someone. If that person receives a flimsy business card then they would associate you with not being substantial whereas I want them to feel that I am a person of substance. I want to hand them a card that is as sturdy and dependable as I am.


While I was searching for a company with patterned 100lb paper, I came to the conclusion I would simply have to make my own patterned paper. So now I am in the process of making my own pattern on illustrator.
 
Along the way I discovered several other methods used in creative business cards. One company, called Pure Metal Cards , laser cuts their business cards from sheet metal. I am sure that they give a lasting impression, however at over six hundred dollars for 200 hundred cards, I think I will be sticking with paper. I do really like the idea of a stainless steel card, I am sure if you are handed one you won't want to throw it out, I know I would not!


Keep an eye out for next week's post! It's going to be a sweet one!






2 comments:

  1. like the cards..this is what i want to design Metal business cards same like that..thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete