Sunday, August 19, 2012

D.I.Y Photo Transfer


Using Tar Gel


All across the internet I have seen the photo transfer method of using gel medium to put a photo onto other surfaces. So I decided to give it a try for my parents anniversary gift this year. In all I ended up experimenting with gel medium, tar gel, and Mod Podge photo medium (my favorite!).

My initial attempt with regular gel medium came out badly because my father's face got very smeared and I decided to paint over it and use it for another project. The above canvas was done with Tar gel. I know that everyone said online that you will not get perfect results and I like the flaws, but I wanted to see if I could find something that would create better results in transferring detailed photos.

Done with Mod Podge

I went to Michaels and found the Mod Podge section. There is a special type called the photo transfer medium, used for fabric and I figured I could use that for a better photo transfer effect on the canvas. It turns out that using the Mod Podge is also an easier and more reliable way of transferring your photo.

Here's What You Will Need!


To create your own canvas transfer you will need Mod Podge, a canvas (I chose 8X10), a sponge brush, a photocopied version of your photo, and a sponge. If you want to you can also get chipboard letters to glue on at the end like I did for the anniversary gifts. 

The flipped version. You can do this in preview of the photo on your desktop if you go under tools and click flip horizontal.

You will want to first cut down your photo so there is not extra white paper around. In this version you are about to see I chose to see what would happen if I used my home printer to print a horizontally flipped version so that it would not be reversed on the canvas. *NOTE* Unless you flip your photo your image will end up as a mirror image on the canvas. 


Next take your Mod Podge and start to brush it onto the photo. Make sure to be generous in coating the paper. 

I did two coats

Then flip your paper over and onto the canvas. Smooth the paper outwards from the center to ensure that your photos will transfer smoothly and without bubbles. Now the hard part, -At least if you're me!- wait 24 hours before you proceed to the next step.


To remove the paper and reveal your image you will need to wet a sponge. I cut a regular kitchen sponge in half for this because I find it easier to handle. Now simply start to rub away at the paper. 
As you continue the process make sure to re-wet the sponge, the sponge should not be sopping wet but wet enough to loosen the paper.
 

As you are rubbing away the paper it will ball. To keep everything neat I find it useful to have a paper towel to put them on. As you get to the point where you have almost all the paper off you can use a towel to knock off the paper into the garbage. Then go back and rub at spots that have the paper still and use the paper towel again. 


Now you can admire your work and happily hang it up somewhere. Or if you want an extra touch on the picture you can glue on some chipboard letters like I did in the anniversary present. This makes an excellent gift and is a wonderful way to transform your wedding photos. This is right after finishing the picture so it is still wet and has not flattened completely yet. Once everything dries completely it will be a flat surface

*Note* you may notice that my picture has a slight purple hue, this is a result of having printed it from my computer, unless your printer is exclusively B&W then your printer will likely use dark purples to create blacks like painters do. I personally kind of like the purple tint, but obviously if you want true colors in B&W ensure that it is a B&W photocopy not printed from a color printer.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I tried to do a photo or two with the acrylic gel medium and my results were quite poor... I'll have to stop and get some of the mod podge photo formula because I love how clear yours turned out! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had the same problem and was determined to find something easier! Hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. I'm going to try doing this this week.

    ReplyDelete