Sunday, December 30, 2012

Plugged In

As I was settling into bed last night, I realized in a panic that I did not know where my cell phone was. I then instantly thought about how there was a time where I didn't need to constantly have my cell phone attached to me (practically) and on my bed side table every night. Even just several years ago my cell phone was not my life. Now I depend on it to wake me up, keep track of my schedule, and keep me current with emails.

When did we all get so plugged in? I mean I really am guilty of phone obsession, I wake up and reach over every morning to check my emails and the weather. This has been developing for years to the point where instead of leaving my phone in a purse or backpack after I went out, it has to be near me at all times.

What all this has to do with the New Year is more of an observance of how much technology has changed my life and the lives of society in just the past five years.  With everyone so plugged in now people are expected to respond to everything immediately.

I know that when my parents went to school they did not get last minute changes to a schedule or new assignments via email. Now, as a student, I am expected to check my email every day, multiple times a day. If you miss an email that the professor sent out, even if it was at an insane hour of night, you are responsible to know its contents. Checking my email is easily done, but it is crazy when you consider how far emailing and technology have come.

I have heard of studies where students are separated from their phones and then go through withdrawal symptoms. According to an article from "The Telegraph"  these withdrawal symptoms have been similar to the drug cravings experienced by an addict during rehab. 

So I guess the question is do we really have a choice? I don't think I could really give up my phone for a week. I rely on it heavily at school for communicating with my parents, teachers, and my peers.

Could you give up your phone for a day, or even a week?


No comments:

Post a Comment